Hedgepig's First Hedgepig's First

Your effort really shows.

Not a bad start at all man. Why didn't you tell me you posted? Haha.

As I said, the effort in this really shows, the frame by frame looks awesome and I can't imagine having to draw all of that without a tablet.

This is surely a leap beyond most of the "my first flash" submissions you see out there, and I can only imagine you going up from here. Great work.

-Jeff

Hedgepig responds:

Yeah sorry was pretty sure I did, I don't know sometimes my PM's just get all screwy. Hell chances are I just never clicked send haha.

Anyways I'm really glad you liked it, I wish I had something better on the way to show you but school has been on my rear like no other. Yay junior year. I know the Flash is relatively simple but I cannot wait to get in there and get better at this, hopefully you'll see something of mine with a green or blue bar around it in the new submissions portal. Doing the FBF wasn't all that bad because I enjoyed it, had it been a school project I would have hung myself. I did wind up getting that tablet to, Cintiq 12WX and I love it. As soon as I get Flash again I'll be back on here for sure and I'll be messaging you right away.

Congratulations on all your front pagers as well, I've been keeping up with the Sketched series and have been laughing the whole time.

Thanks for the review!
James

Renegade Awesome Episode1 Renegade Awesome Episode1

There are people who haven't seen ghostbusters?

I'm not going to dwell on it because I wanted to review the animation, but seriously? I've seen a few reviews from people who haven't seen ghostbusters... how does such a thing happen?

AAaaanyways. I completely loved this animation, it had a great snyde wit about it and a really funny commentary in general about the internet's surge in bloggers and video bloggers who feel a compulsive need to review mass media on which their opinions have no effect. That's why people should stick to newgrounds, where your reviews are SEEN by the people who MADE the movie. Say WHAT?

Anyways (again) the animation was smooth and the voice acting and script were superb. There was a good amount of effort that shows in the drawings and inclusion of special effects in this cartoon, all of which really helped in bringing this animation ahead of the fold when it comes to the 'paper doll' style. I personally would prefer vector drawings, but I would never mark you down for soemething that is a personal preference.

Once again, great job and I'm sorry for the odd review... I had a packet of fruit snacks for lunch and now I'm hyper.

Jonnyethco responds:

mmmmm...fruit snacks.

Santa's Last Stop Santa's Last Stop

Well played sir.

You really have an aptitude for making high quality shorts. It can be rare to see submissions in a portal environment that have worthwhile animation, writing, and acting, but you pulled it off nicely.

There is a very distinct level of professionalism in your animations and I think that definitely makes you someone to keep an eye out for in the future.

Merry Ricksmas 2 Merry Ricksmas 2

Great short.

As promised, here is my review... This is a very quality short and it really shows you have talent in animation, from the use of well placed camera angles to the overall smooth flow of action.

The story and premise itself was good. It was a fun and new take on the tried and true "guy-X saves Christmas" storyline with some good pop culture (the grinch) and social references mixed in.

As you mentioned, the voice acting could use work, but all in all it wasn't terrible. The acting itself was actually alright, but moreso the recording quality leaves something to be desired. This did prove to be a factor, but not so much so that it ruined the overall short.

As far as artwork go, you show a good knowledge of perspective, proportion, and flow as well as excelent color and shading ability. I personally am not a fan of using such thin line art, but that may be in part because the thinner your line the more glaring any minor misstep in your art will show.

Again, this was a great short, and it showed that you are definitely a person to keep an eye on for more content in the future.

smirkstudios responds:

wow, thanks a lot bro. it means a lot to me that an award wining animator would review my stuff, so thanks again. i would love to collab with you some day, like maybe do some backgrounds for you or something, so let me know and i'll put together some quality stuff for you, ok bro? thanks dude!

Random Eye Madness Random Eye Madness

Great animation, one overall suggestion though.

I really like your art style and I think you are an extremely talented animator. It is for that reason that I have watched a number of your animations and it wasn't until this one that I realized what feels a little off to me. If I could make one suggestion to encompass most of your work it would be to work on your pacing a little bit. You do great animation with really great stories such as this one, however the pace feels a little slow. Don't get me wrong, I really like the fact that your characters don't talk a mile a minute and that you are able to relish uncomfortable silences, however your scripted converstations don't seem to flow at a normal conversational rate. You could probably improve this by just shortening the pauses between lines, that way it seems like the characters are speaking in reaction to oneanother rather than just waiting for their turn to talk. I know this is probably getting a bit nit-pickey, but it probably comes from my day job as a production manager. Please don't let me discourage you, I love your style and I think your storytelling offers a subtlety that is often lost in flash animation, I just think that it's something that could bring your art to a new level of professionalism.